The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall are set to visit New Zealand in November while here they will visit Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and the small farming town of Fielding. While in Wellington TRH’s will stay at the Governor General’s house in Wellington.
Government House in Wellington is a large, two-storey house, built mostly of wood, with attics, a grand staircase, a ballroom, dozens of other large and small rooms, very long corridors and a flag tower.
Designed in the office of the Government Architect, John Campbell, the designer of Parliament Buildings, principally by his assistant, Claude Paton, it was built between 1908 and 1910. The first vice-regal resident was Lord Islington who was Governor from 1910 to 1912. In late 2008, the House closed for a major strengthening and refurbishment project and was officially reopened on 24 March 2011.